Thursday, August 10, 2006

Self Preservation

Reception

"Do you love him?, "she pounced with the question.
"What??", Ron gasped with surprise.
"I am sorry, I just asked out of mere oddity," she said.
"No no, its nothing like that. Yes, its not like that at all. But sunny is my best friend ", said Ron.
"So he is your best friend, and now he is getting married, so are you feeling bad or remorseful, about it ?".
"Hey listen, what is your name? "
"jenny, you can call me jenny."
"Ok Jenny, do I know you?," asked Ron
"I don't think so, because, I am Elina's friend, and when you hardly have a word with her, how would you know about her friends?", replied Jenny.
"Who said that to you?", he asked.
"Elina said to me.",she replied
"Hey it is not like that, we do talk a lot, just last Wednesday, we talked", said Ron.
"She said hi and you said hello? Was that what you referring to?"

"Actually I had some work so had to leave at that time. But what exactly did she say?", he sounded curious.
"Nothing, just that you guys know each other since one year but hardly had any memorable conversation. She actually feels really bad about having come between you and sunny." " By the way, I just returned from London , two days back, especially for Sunny and Elina'a marriage. We too are best friends you see", she told him."Ok, that sounds cool. So listen Jenny, its nothing of the sort you are thinking, I am pretty happy over sunny's marriage with Elina as they both love each other and make a perfect couple and its nothing like elina coming between two of us. We two are best of friends and will always remain so" Replied Ron with a stern voice.

"So can I say that you are perfectly normal, I mean to say, just like other guys. You know what I mean! Guys liking girls! Kind of stuff"

"Yes, yes, absolutely yes.I like girls, I do like girls just like other guys, in fact I like girls a lot.Girls are sooo… girlish, which is simply so pretty and of course adorable.I love all girls. Ohh I mean I like girls a lot. ", he gave her full possible assurance.

"I got it, I got what you mean so what about a dance?", she asked rather bluntly.
"Dance? Oh sorry, I am very poor dancer and specially have a bad leg today." he sounded confused or rather nervous.

"No problem at all, its ok, she said."Sunny is very handsome guy! Isn't he?" Jenny asked.

"yes, definitely he is, but why is that question targeted at me?" he asked.Nothing,actually I was looking at Sunny and elina dancing.Don't they look like perfect pair?"she asked.

"Yes, exactly , Sunny would prove a perfect husband,", said Ron"

In fact, both will prove excellent partner for the other." She completed him.
"You like photography a lot ?" she jumped to another topic.
"Yes, I do, how do you know". He asked.
“I simply saw the camera in your hand,” she replied bubbling with confidence over her observation.
“You are pretty sharp girl,” he complimented in a state of confusion.
"So what are you shooting now ?, Sunny ??"
"Yes,No, no actually both of them. Sunny had asked me to shoot his entire wedding.", he replied, trying to sound smooth but jenny's presence was making him nervous.

"sunny is calling you,", she said.
"where ?? where is he.?", he asked as he looked around.
"just kidding, please don't mind, they are having dinner there.
Can I see the film?", she asked with a smile.
"No, no it is still not complete." He replied in an instant.
"Ok, may be when it gets complete."
"Ya sure, I will then show it. Any way, I need to go now, have some work."
"You always have some work."
"Ya, kinda busy here.""What about dinner tonight?", she again proved bold.

"tonight, actually I will be busy till late night, so I am sorry, dinner wont be possible today."

"Hmmmn, no problem at all, but I must say to you, that this is a part of life. At one stage or the other your close ones are bound to move ahead, so you too need to do the same thing." She said and left.


Ron was not sure what to say or how to react.

"So you did the shoot?", he heard sunny's voice.
"Hey buddy, yes I did, you look terrific,""What about elina, you shoot her too right?", sunny asked with a smile.

"Yes, of course she also look great."

"Thanks a lot Ron.We are leaving now, will see you in a week's time, just keep in touch."

"Sure I will, you people have a great time. Will miss you

"Sunny smiled as he waved back while moving towards car with elina.





A week later.


"Ouch," said Ron as the cigarette burned his finger.He looked around the room, which looked pretty messed up.It was one complete week after sunny,s marriage and nothing had been cleaned since then.

Suddenly he heard the door bell.
"Is sunny back?, it is possible, as the week is over," he thought.

He opened the door
"Hey elina, where is sunny,"
"I am fine if you ever wished to ask so, and sunny is back home." said Elina.

"Ya, I was just going to ask that, how was the trip?" asked Ron
"It was great, you not busy now?", she asked as she moved inside the room.

"No, not now, but the room is pretty messed up.""Its ok, actually I just came to get the marriage's tape,"

"It is still not ready,"

"There it is," she saw the cassette without bothering what he said.
"Do you mind if I see the cassette a bit ,""Actually I had to go, "
but she had already started before he could say anything.

"hey there I am, this gown is beautiful, isn't it ?"
"yes it is, "he replied"

even this dress looks great," she kept saying to herself.
"This is extreme close up, " she kept mumbling with a laugh this time.

"Its me again,"
"Its me, again??"
"its me, its only me??"

she said now with the expressions changing from pleasant to surprised ones.She forwarded the film, but could only see herself everywhere.She looked back at him, he was looking away.

"Is it.., but you never said anything!", she said in a confused state.

"Hey actually, I have some work, I just remembered

Why did you never talked to me?", she asked sternly.

"You guys both loved each other dearly.
Besides,

this is a kind of self preservation."He said and moved out of the room.


10.30 pm
It was 10.30 pm, at Elina's house. She was still under the shock when she heard the knock at the door. Ron was standing out with a bag.
"I came back to give you something which is yours."
He handed the bag to her, which contained the cassettes and her pictures."Thanks Ron."
"nothing to be thankful about, its yours only."he replied.
"I am sorry, I shouldn't have kept those at the first instance," he said
"I was just wondering if we could be friends together?", she asked skeptically.
"I don't think that would be a good idea", he replied.
She kissed him on his cheek as he said.
"Or may be, we can give it a try in future.", he seemed to have changed his mind.
She saw his back fading in the dark behind the lamp post as he walked away towards the turn.




courtesy---Love Actually

4 Comments:

Blogger loku_blogs said...

hey frankly its not completely by me
there was a similar story in a movie but i liked the idea so much that simply could not resist writing it down.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Zaibi said...

Nice . Interesting .Kept wanting to read more to know what would happen next . Sounded a lot like a movie . Sad to an extent but the good part is the ending . It is like a light at the end of the tunnel .
Would like to know what makes you write so much about relationships , love , man-woman as husband-wives,as friends , best friends etc , etc ?
I think the moral of the story should be to speak what the heart desires and to be bold and strong enough to face the consequences of your spoken words.
Nicely writen Loku . Keep it up.

7:54 PM  
Blogger loku_blogs said...

ya i know
coz the idea is from a movie itself
but it fascinated me so much, besides sounding very real, that just couldnt resist formulating it as a story
after all, the first preference to writing is self satisfaction

6:23 AM  
Blogger Ravish said...

You did it again...Excellent post!!

Cheers!!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home